OK, we are about to start, please put away all text books….
In the not to distant past (for some of us) there was the shift to ensure that mobile phones were not present in the near vicinity when taking examinations and as far as precautions for cheating go I don’t suppose that things have progressed much further. Invigilators are ever vigilant but are we moving with the times?
Enter wearable tech, I am not talking about the tech that is in the near future such as Google glasses, I am talking about the discreet and overlooked – the smartwatch! Take my phone away from me, you can even have it on the desk in front of you, it won’t stop those preset reminders from appearing on my phone every few minutes through the exam to give me timely reminders of a fact that might be the tipping point between a less-than-successful mark and a pass. Given that you can purchase a smartwatch that need only display notifications for around £50.
In the US there is a shift to ask for watches but also awarding bodies are monitoring the social networking habits of those taking exams – not only during but before and after the event.
Know any learners with smartphones?
Pebble, looking to not lose pace with other smart watches, have returned to Kickstarter ( click here ) to crowd fund the Pebble II – Titled the Pebble Time – which is already near to completion unlike when the first Pebble needed funds to develop. with Projected shipping May 2015. New features to include:
- 64 Colour screen
- Microphone lets you send voice replies to incoming notifications or take short voice notes.
- Pebble Time is 20% thinner than the original Pebble at just 9.5mm.
- Ergonomic, curved design fits comfortably on either wrist.
- Scratch-resistant Gorilla Glass with a bezel made of stainless steel.
- Like our previous watches, it’s water resistant – perfect for a run in the rain, water-balloon battle or a swim.
- All new Pebble watch bands include a quick-release pin, letting you swap bands in under 10 seconds.
- Publishing the 3D data you’ll need to create amazing straps, covers and docks.
- Pebble Time also has a smart accessory port, enabling hardware developers to build sensors and smart straps that connect directly to the watch.
- Pebble Time comes in three colours: Black, Red, White
- New timeline interface interaction – your notifications, news, reminders and events are laid out chronologically instead of being trapped inside separate apps.
- £199 TBC
And the best bit? Timeline will work on Pebble and Pebble Steel (exact date TBD) so my watch gets an awesome update in the near future!