Windows arrived on Wednesday. I foolishly rushed to install. I forced that download into windows update every time it reported an error (that turned out to be a connection error). The installation got as far as 86% and then failed due to migration of settings. I rushed to download the media creation tool and throw an image onto a USB stick. again thwarted as the installation froze at the last few hurdles. No fear, it gave me the option of a reboot and installation was now happening from the machine itself. I assumed it had dumped it off the USB. In the end it not matter as it still failed! I retried the windows update route again. It was re downloading the image from scratch! Sod it I’m cancelling it all and going to bed.
The morning found me in a better from of mind but not one that wanted to bother with Windows 10. But fate brought two elements together…
- I found out windows update was ready to try another install
- I needed to go out to the shops (Butter for making cookies with my boys)
On my return… Success! I have upgraded from Windows 7 and whilst I am not in love with Windows 10 I don’t dislike it. It certainly is better than Windows 8. So what do you actually get (beyond Win 7).
- Start Menu and Tile integration – the best of both worlds
- Snap to corners (not just sides)
- Add the recycle bin to the start menu (now I can hid the desktop version and not worry about lengthy steps to access)
- Search on toolbar
- MS edge, IE’s replacement, I love the annotation facility
- The ability to access apps (a benefit for a Win7 user, don’t feel like i’m missing out now)
I hate the photo app – it works for wife’s account but not my own – not a deal breaker but frustrating!